Fall is such a great time of year to reflect your past progress in the year and look ahead to how you want your new year to look. Many organizations that we’re working with are doing a status check on their strategies and results. Taking time to assess your communications plan can get you way ahead of the curve for next year. Here are some things to put on your assessment list.
For your strategies
• How did your PR plans result for the year? Did you achieve your goals? Did you implement the right tactics? Did you measure up to your definitions of success? If so, good going. It’s time to build your new goals and climb on your current successes. If not, do some research and map out some alternatives. Start again with an assessment of your objectives.
• Take a look at your key messages. Are they saying what’s currently going on with your organization? If not, take some time to bring them up-to-date. If they don’t speak to your goals anymore, time to refresh them, along with your strategies.
For your tactics
• What are your key audiences looking for next year? Editorial calendars are starting to come out. Trade shows are recruiting speakers, exhibitors and sponsors. Analysts are preparing year end reports. Business award competitions are looking for entries.
• Technology is evolving each day. Look at the interactive tools you want to utilize next year and start making investments. There’s always an opportunity to learn about something new. Take advantage of online seminars and webinars.
• Make a list of the people you want to reach and influence. Map out ways to reach them.
For your measurements
• Take time to analyze the year’s achievements. Analytics are such a great tool to gauge campaigns. What worked? What didn’t work? Why?
If you are looking for some help to assess your communications, we are raising our hand to help. Pencils are sharpened and brains are in high gear.